Explore. Educate. Engage.
So much in the Universe is waiting to be discovered.
Galileo proved that the Earth moves around the Sun. Newton pinpointed gravity through the laws of motion. Einstein introduced the theories of relativity connecting mass, energy, and space. Each leap forward in physics and astronomy opens a new horizon of discovery. Today we are delving into the fundamental make-up of the Universe from the lightest particles to its most massive structures.
The Mitchell Institute for Fundamental Physics and Astronomy builds on the interface between Astrophysics, High Energy Experiment, and High Energy Theory to advance our understanding of how the Universe began and how it evolves. We promote the spirit of discovery by supporting vibrant research programs and bringing scientists from all over the world to debate, question, and solve the most profound questions of our time.
By originating new theories, experiments and observations, we hope to illuminate the fundamental structure and mechanics of the Universe.
A frequent visitor here, Stephen Hawking, describes this age-old quest as the “philosophy of our existence, our purpose, our final destination.”
That is what drives us.
The Institute benefits multiple groups:
- For academia, we provide unparalleled research and teaching opportunities, and collaboration with some of the world’s foremost experts in the field.
- For students and teachers, we help train you as the future workforce leading the world in important new discoveries and providing the foundation of knowledge you can apply throughout your careers.
- For the public, we invite you into a fascinating world of the known and the unknown. We share with you our knowledge and amaze you as we unravel the mysteries of the Universe.
- For media, we provide expert insight for scientific, technical, and popular interest reporting. Our scholars are real humans who provide factual, engaging, and often witty commentary.
- For more information about the Mitchell Institute’s current programs, please contact us.
Journey along with the Mitchell Institute by engaging with us in:
- Postdoctoral fellowships and graduate research assistantships
- An array of international visiting scientist exchange programs
- A full roster of workshops, seminars and international conferences
- Innovative Education and Outreach programs for students, families, and Texas teachers to inspire our next generation of scientists.