Mitchell Institute, January 9-11, 2015
The SuperCDMS experiment aims to measure the recoil energy imparted to a nucleus due to collisions with WIMPs by employing detectors which are highly sensitive to the ionization and phonon signals that results from a WIMP-nucleus collision. The detectors, known as iZIP (interleaved Z-sensitive Ionization Phonon) detectors, feature state-of-the-art superconducting thin films deposited on 600g germanium crystals to accurately measure information about the WIMP collisions. The SuperCDMS experiment will initially be at the Soudan Underground Laboratory in Minnesota where in it will operate a total detector mass of ~10kg. Subsequently, the experiments plans to increase the experimental payload by a factor of 10 and operate at the deeper SNOLAB facility in Sudbury, Canada. This location provides significantly improved shielding from cosmic rays which are a source of background in the WIMP search.
Texas A&M University – Department of Physics and Astronomy
The George P. and Cynthia Woods Mitchell Institute for Fundamental Physics and Astronomy, and the George P. Mitchell Physics buildings are located at the corner of University Drive and Ireland Street on the main Texas A&M campus. These buildings are located in the northeast quadrant of the main Texas A&M campus, directly across from the Northside Parking Garage.
Fairfield Inn & Suites Bryan College Station ($102/night + taxes)
- Group Code: Visit Webstie or call in as Physics and provide the date (Start date: 1/7/15, End date: 1/16/15)
- Address: 4613 South Texas Avenue, Bryan, TX 77802
- Phone: (979) 268-1552
- Last day to book by: 12/19/14
Hilton College Station ($139/night + taxes)
- Group Code: CDMS
- Address: 801 University Drive East, College Station, TX 77840
- Phone: (979) 693-7500
- Website: Visit Here
Easterwood Airport (CLL) is located only 2 miles from campus and offers daily flights from/to Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW) and George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH).
You may also wish to consider flying into Houston-area airports (George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH); William P. Hobby Airport (HOU) and complete the rest of the journey (100 miles) by rental car or airport shuttle. You can arrange shuttle service to and from Houston airports with Ground Shuttle
- Take US Highway 290 West toward Austin.
- Travel through Hockley, Waller, and Prairie View toward Hempstead.
- Take the Texas Highway 6 North exit toward Bryan/College Station.
- Travel approximately 40 miles through Navasota to College Station.
- In College Station exit University Drive.
- Turn left onto University Drive at the light.
- University Drive will take you to the northeast quadrant of campus, as well as the Northside Parking Garage, and other parking options given below.
For more driving directions please visit Texas A&M University’s visitor site
There is also some limited hourly paid parking available in the Northside Garage (NSG) located across Ireland Street from the Mitchell Physics and Mitchell Institute Building. Please just park anywhere on the first floor and pay at one of the pay stations in the garage before leaving the garage area. Hourly parking rates can be found here: Visitor Parking
Parking in Lot 47, 50, 51, 54, and 55 is free from 5:00 PM Friday to 6:00 AM Monday – Parking Maps
It is important not to park in the lots before 5:00 PM on Friday, and to make sure NOT to park in any reserved or timed parking spaces, as you will be towed – View Map
If you do not wish to drive from your local accommodations, there are some other methods of transit including walking, taking a taxi, or riding a local TAMU shuttle bus, which are open for visitors to TAMU. Those staying at the Hilton can also request shuttle service to campus from the hotel’s concierge.
TAMU Shuttle Bus Routes and Schedules:
- Map of all off campus routes that take you to/from campus: Off Campus Map
- Map of all on-campus routes for getting around campus: On Campus Map
Note: these maps are interactive, so you may click on the route that works for you, and then select Stops & Times to see a full schedule of that route. Routes have different times every day on nights and weekends.
- BCS Taxi: (979) 691-2222
- Northgate taxi: (979) 574-6919
- Maroon Cab: (979) 695-9999
- BCS Taxi-cab: (979) 693-5532
- College Station/Bryan taxi: (979) 436-8107